Saturday 24 February 2024

Aeonium Velour in flower - Six on Saturday

I'm saving the best for last this week, this is not to say that first five of six things aren't SOS worthy.  Areas got flooded again this week, but luckily the only bit of standing water here a mere sliver along the fence that abuts the neighbours path only lasted half an hour or so.  I'm linking in this post as do others, which offers any reader visiting Jim's post, the opportunity to savour lots of multiples of six things from lots of different gardens.  

1. Luck would have it that at my gardening club this week, I won first prize in the raffle, which allowed me to choose, and although there were probably more valuable prizes such as a bag full of maincrop seed potatoes, worth nothing to me of course as I don't have room to grow potatoes, I chose this pretty red Primula titled 'Gold Nugget Mix'.  My primula that I had been nursing through many seasons is just about hanging in there, so I am delighted to have another one. 


2. With a little bit of shelter from the excessive rain, this 'exotic' looking plant catches the eye of visitors.  After hearing that it is a little hardier than I thought, from Avon Bulbs at the HPS talk, the Tropaeolum tricolor is starting into flower outside.  I may just use a few blooms to jazz up tonight's starter.  

  


I read that the bright green lobed leaves are called 'peltate' with the middle of the leaf connected to the leaf stalk, which is also similar to nasturtiums which are in the same family.

3. When it was pouring with rain,  I spent a little while writing out some labels for the new snowdrops, and in a lull when I went to put in G. Heffalump's label, I noticed that the dwarf Forsythia was valiantly starting to flower.


4. I have a little penchant for clay  pots, preferably terracotta and if I can get old and interesting pots so much the better.  I was interested to read about some early pots excavated during an archaeological dig  in Wells to the rear of what is now the Wells Museum.  I am volunteering as a Gallery Steward for 'Smashed in the Cellar' and took some photographs showing parts of the old garden pots.

Panels explained that the earliest garden pots were made at the East Somerset Potteries, and there is a piece of old Dutch Delftware Pot which would have been used for displaying prize bulbs.  When I was in Shepton last week, I spied what looked like an old pot for sale, and would have gone back except that the roads have been flooded.  I went on the bus yesterday and each and every one had been sold! I  have amongst my old pots one imprinted Sankey! 

5. One buys bulbs with the expectation that they increase.  It seems that Daffodils don't do particularly well here in the garden.  This is all is left of the bulbs I bought in 2022.  The foliage is a little on the yellow side and perhaps it is ailing.  Any suggestions?


6. There is just about sufficient headroom for the Aeolium Velour as it stands on its stone topped table, and had we had more sunshine, its leaves would be even more purple and would contrast nicely with the yellow flowers.


And will there be any dry weather soon?  If not I shall still have to go out there, and prepare a few seed pans, hopefully in a couple of weeks time when the seedlings are up we shall have better light, but I ought to check first!


 

16 comments:

  1. What a fantastic end to your six, yes the Aeolium Velour is very impressive, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take that as a well done to the Aeonium. I just take cuttings, wait three or four years, watch it, water when required, that is all I do, an excellent and very easy plant.

      Delete
  2. It's almost a relief to hear that someone else has trouble with daffs. We've planted loads over the years and none have lasted long, though there are signs that self sown wild daffs might stay the course. Which suggests that I should be seeking out the ones that want moisture and tolerate shade, whereas I think most want sun and good drainage. Maddening when there are fields of them all over Cornwall at this time of year.
    Was your head in the Aeolian Islands when you included the Aeonium?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very amused by your last comment. For bulbs or plants that don't do too well, I am now wise enough to let that phase pass and move on to something else. I wonder what plants I shall focus on in coming years?

      Delete
  3. Well done on winning first prize in the raffle and your choice of prize. Lovely. I'm never convinced my narcissi bulbs multiply and end up buying more each year. I may stick to my annual vow & not plant any more and see what happens (trying not to slice through any in the meantime). Actually - I don't think I planted any more Tahiti last autumn so it'll be interesting to see if any reappear. The experts seem to suggest improving drainage to stop bulbs from rotting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a point about drainage, here in the garden it is usually excellent, but with the constant rain, the soil must have been constantly on the damper side since the summer. Also I think the lack of cold weather has affect many of the spring blooms.

      Delete
  4. You were right to end with this wonderful floral spike of aeonium..! I can't wait to see how tall will climb mine. For now it's still small but in a few weeks it will be at the same stage. I will be sure to post the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing yours Fred, is it the same variety?

      Delete
    2. No, it's a sort of hybrid variety with lighter and pinkish leaves.

      Delete
  5. Well done on winning such a beautiful raffle prize Noelle - so more attractive than a bag of seed potatoes. I've never had much joy with planting daffodils in the ground so most of mine are in pots these days. Maybe the yellow foliage is down to all the excessive rain during the last year πŸ€” On the subject of yellow I've never seen an aeonium in flower before now. It's quite stunning. Any scent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting that you too have a similar problem but have found an alternative and are now growing them in pots. Do you dry them off and have you had success in growing them in following years? I've seen the Aeoniums in flower in glasshouses in Botanic Gardens and also of course on Tresco, Madera and some of the Mediterranean islands and countries.

      Delete
  6. What a great prize, I’d be so happy with that. I have only two daffs that have come back in the borders this year. We have heavy clay that we’ve worked at improving over the years - but with the amount of rain we’ve had this winter, and last, I think the bulbs have given up. I now grow them in large containers, where they have come back for a second year, and in pots that are newly planted each year. The Aeonium is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your garden club prize! πŸŒΈπŸ’— Those pots are fabulous. Amazing Aeolium Velour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How curious about the Tropaeolum, Noelle - I have a couple of bulbs of it in a pot in the Coop, but it has never grown as handsomely as yours has done, and I had no idea it was hardy(ish). Perhaps mine woud like to be repotted..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It needs a really dry summer rest, after that about September I repot it, and then leave it outside, then into the conservatory from November onwards, and only put it outside again when I saw the scene of them out in the snow when Chris from Avon Bulbs was giving a lecture at our HPS group. When I repot I put some slow release fertilizer pellets into the compost, and put the twigs in as soon as I see some growth.

      Delete
  9. As much as I adore all the flowering plants, it is great to hear there is another terracotta pot fan among us! There's just something so earthy and genuine about terracotta. :)

    ReplyDelete