Monday 19 February 2024

Wholemeal Cobb Loaf a la 'Bake with Jack'

It is back to basics for me this week, and I am not too old to learn new tricks. I have loved making bread for years and years, sometimes using a large table top mixer, but for nearly twenty years have gone back to the hand process, by far my favourite.  I find the kneading most enjoyable.

As a treat to myself I joined Bake with Jack's 'The Homebaker's Club',   I have been watching him on YouTube, and there is almost everything you need there to achieve as good a standard as you could attain.  He has given much and he is a gifted communicator, so why not indulge myself in a little course available whenever I wish to log on?

This Sunday the weather was decidedly damp and wet, the bread bin nearly empty, as was the freezer of 'everyday' day bread.  I thought I would get back to basics after all the sourdough bread, and watched and printed out the Wholemeal Cobb Loaf instructions.


I followed it and make the one large cobb.  What would I do differently next time?  Divide the dough in two, or use perhaps some of the dough to make some rolls, as this loaf is a little too large for us.  A smaller loaf with extra for the freezer would suit us better.  All in all a superb recipe different from the other he had shown, and with explanations and reasons for doing various manoeuvres, I have further techniques to try on other recipes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment