Monday 19 February 2024

In a Vase on Monday

 We have had so much rain, too much.  If it seems that many of my posts over the last few weeks or indeed months, have had such a 'wet' theme, it is because it has been the wettest autumn and winter I remember.  Local rivers have burst their banks, or overflowed and many properties nearby have been flooded. I wonder whether we shall have an ever longer record broken since the 'Wettest on record since 1890' as quoted in the Independent for the period July to December 2023. I feel particularly sorry for all the people and businesses that will have to go through the whole trouble of bailing out, clearing up and starting again, possibly after having only tackled the problem just a few weeks ago.

Am I using this as an excuse for my less than perfect flowers? It does explain the rain drops and the saturated snowdrop petals.  


With the mild weather snowdrops are nearly over, but the late flowerers deserve their moment on IAVOM.  Here Galanthus Sprite mainly on the left hand side show their markings on their blunt outer petals. with almost all green inner petals. They are waterlogged and the green markings faded on account of the lack of light since they emerged.


G. Marjorie Brown is a strong 'girl' with strapping grey green leaves, and robust flowers.  It would be quite amusing when they have increased to place a plant fairly close to G. Charlotte just to show the contrast in size!  Here against the Terracotta soldiers and high against the Tete a Tete daffs you can have an idea of size. 


The leaves at the base are from one Cyclamen hederifolium that I selected for leaf form.  

As usual I am joining in with Cathy, and wonder how people in other parts of England are fairing.  We also have gardeners in other parts of the World each having from time to time their own weather and environmental challenges to face. 

I have mentioned any books for some time, and yes I have been reading.  In January my book club's choice.  Two of us gave this book a very high rating, but the rest of those who had completed it had lower ratings.  If you already have this book or can borrow it from your library, I was say read it, and it would be interesting to hear what you make of it.  Everyone thought it was well written. I really liked it


My current read for the club is 'The Maid' by Nita Prose.  This has been a page turner for me, but I am slowing down as I don't want it to end.  I have just a couple of chapters to read.  Again on Good Reads I see there are some severe criticisms. I would answer those on that forum, but I would rather be reading for myself, baking, blogging, arranging flowers etc. 



 




12 comments:

  1. The cyclamen leaf is a real beauty - my C coum have all got very ordinary leaves, other than a silvery one. It really sets off the other little treasures, doesn't it? It's interesting how books can really divide readers. I haven't read either of those you mentioned so can't give my pennyworth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was struggling to find foliage, when suddenly I was inspired by C. leaves nearby. There are starting to be some interesting forms amongst the C. coum too. I like the lighter patterns when I find them at nurseries or on growers' stalls.

      Delete
  2. I'm tired of soggy petals too and I know we haven't had anything on the order of the rain you've experienced. I enjoyed 'The Maid', which I read last year, and in fact I'm currently reading Nita Prose's followup to it, 'The Mystery Guest' right now. I have an autistic niece so I find the central character particularly interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too found Molly a very sympathetic character and felt the book all the more interesting since it was written from her point of view.

      Delete
  3. Been wet here with snow every so often like recently. Love your little vase. And I have read The Maid and the sequel The Mystery Guest. Both are excellent and I hope she writes more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On your recommendation, and my own of enjoyment of The Maid, I shall order the sequel, many thanks.

      Delete
  4. Issues with the rain - tell me about it - although summer is our rainy season so is expected. We live in a flood area too, although our house is well above sea level. I fully appreciate what you say about business owners suffering, but the difference here is that we expect floods - it's those who don't that I feel for.

    Do you find that your flowers dry out a bit overnight, once brought indoors, and look more sprightly the next day? If weather permits, I choose my flowers on Sunday, although this week it rained more than on Monday! Your flowers look really lovely in the vase and just think, spring will soon be here. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snowdrops, and some varieties more so, seem to absorb the water and really don't recover. I think I would have had to pick the flowers in an immature state, and I am not sure how well they would develop after that. It has not really felt like Winter here at all, except for the shorter days and poor quality light. However I know what you mean, thanks.

      Delete
  5. Hi Noelle, I'm sorry to hear about all the rain. It can be disheartening but at least you have some gorgeous flowers and good books to get ou through. We're going to get more rain too over the next few days which will assure that plants get off to a good start in spring. I know before too long I'll be complaining about the drought again🙈 keep your chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The rain seems never ending doesn't it Noelle? Bad enough for gardeners but it must be soul destroying for farmers 😢 'Sprite' is a beautiful snowdrop even when soggy. I haven't heard of the first book you mention so I will look out for that one whilst I'm afraid I just couldn't get into 'The Maid' and gave up. I have a reading group meeting tomorrow which I'm looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marjorie is a lovely snowdrop and the cyclamen leaf is beautiful. Such pretty complements to your narcissi. It has been extremely wet here too this winter, but thankfully we live on a hill and the flower beds are on a well-drained sandy spot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These flowers are really so pretty!

    ReplyDelete