Saturday 10 February 2024

Instant or seasonal gratification in the garden - Six on Saturday

We have had a very wet week, and garden cannot take any more. Some of the flowers have been bashed down by the heavy rain, and the lack of sunshine is taking its toll. However at this time of the year, expectation is high and the newly emerging plants bring intense pleasure, but still I am not immune to instant gratification.  Just reading Jim's anchoring post with all his Camelias and posts from other gardeners several in other countries will bring more Six on Saturday enjoyment.  


1. I ought to know better than visit a good local plant nursery, merely of course on the pretext of delivering a year's supply of the regional HPS leaflets, whilst having a bit of ready cash in my wallet!  I came away having spent some of my pocket money:  Crocus chrysanthus 'Romance' was placed in the garden, in a spell of 'non heavy rain' yesterday. The outer petals are paler but and when open all the inner petals are a lovely buttery yellow.
 
Crocus chrysanthus 'Romance'

I also picked up a snowdrop: Galanthus Sprite, it is a good virescent, which I happen to have in the garden which is nice and healthy.  As these specials are slow to increase, I wanted to establish some in another part of the garden, but the original clump is not ready to be divided. As well I bought four pots of Eranthes.  However I had picked up two pots of Eranthes from the garden centre at Rocky Mountain, where I did my weekly veg shop on the way.  Comparing the two suppliers, I am pleased to say that the pots supplied by Jackie Williams at Triffids Nursery were far far superior, having very good roots, whereas the others had barely started to root but showing shoots, I dare say the corms had only just been planted.  That reminded me of the lesson to check the roots before buying!

2.  I've not posted about this crocus which grows in the Conservatory border right next to Crocus sieberi 'Tricolor' out of sight to the left of this group.  I believe these are Crocus tommasinianus 'Barr's Purple'.  I've had it many years now and is a good returner each season.  These grow on the outer edge of the bed along the gravel path, so whatever the weather I can walk out a look at the spring flowers emerging, or even admire it from the conservatory.


3. It is the mixture of the Cyclamen coum that forms the fist strip of  Spring flowers which I look out on from the conservatory: this week it although not quite reaching its peak, it is already working nicely.. 


4. In that same border Galanthus 'Trumps' is sending up its easily recognised blooms, one gifted to me by Cathy: three flowering bulbs this year.

Galanthus Trumps
These  eranthes were planted in previous years!

5.  Whilst planting out some other plants,  I had forgotten that  the spot is where the Oxalis triangularis come up  each summer.  Having just come back from a friend in whose home I have admired several times this plant growing as a house plant,  several of these little rhizomes are going to be placed in a  pot of compost ready to grow into a new house plant.

Oxalis triangularis rhizomes accidentally uncovered

6. Still my favourite returner now in its sixth year in the garden, is Crocus minimus Spring Beauty. At a stage when as my gran would say: not quite enough blue sky to make a sailor a pair of trousers, the bees were out and the crocus obliged by opening.  Precious moments during this generally wet week with dark skies.


Crocus minimus Spring Beauty

When it dries out a little I have a few jobs to do, more tidying up and pruning, and a little seed sowing.


17 comments:

  1. Lots of lovely late winter/spring flowers here. You did well to save the best for last, what a beauty! Stay warm and dry, Sis xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may have noticed that often I follow with your advice of starting and ending with good ones! I really was amused by your post today. xx

      Delete
  2. Crocus 'Spring Beauty' really is a beauty, one for the wanted list. If only I could ever remember where I put it at bulb buying time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe top of the list would make sure you remembered to get it. Often I have bought bulbs in the green as I did this one. I have quite a display now just from one pot at an early spring fare.

      Delete
  3. I don't have oxalis triangularis but on the other hand I've had another variety, O brasiliensis (which unfortunately is not yet apparent)
    You have to be careful when weeding or planting new things!
    Lovely choice that this buttery yellow crocus and 'Spring Beauty' is truly a “spring beauty” : I know it's easy....;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had to remove a few plants which grew over snowdrops this spring Fred, so I completely agree with you on being careful. Everything is crammed in, but they have their different seasons to flourish.

      Delete
  4. Cyclamen envy over here, I don't seem to have success with them yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth trying them in different parts of the garden. An easy way is just spreading the seed or small tubers where you would like to try them, then remembering not to disturb them during their dormant season. In three or four years you get a good display.

      Delete
  5. You have some lovely spring flower views from your Conservatory. Wow to Crocus minimus Spring Beauty - it's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked a few blooms to put in a tiny vase, they are like Rembrandt tulips with flashy markings. My top crocus for sure.

      Delete
  6. You did save the best till last, what a stunner Spring Beauty is, love the purple pattern on the outside petals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pauline, a little vase with four blooms is gracing the kitchen windowsill, I ought to try my hand at drawing them! It was Gill Heavens who gave out the tip of saving a good one for No 6, and I also like to put a good one at No 1 as when I copy my post to Facebook, it comes up with the first picture.

      Delete
  7. You have a lovely collection of plants growing in your borders right now. Crocus ‘Romance’ and Crocus ’Spring Beauty’ are absolutely gorgeous. I’ll have to look out for them. I’m hoping for a garden centre visit next week but I suspect they won’t have anything nearly as lovely as those. They will probably have to go my wish list of bulbs for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that a lot of our gardens are sadly saturated now Noelle so fingers crossed for a drier week. I'm sure that your 'Trumps' will soon make a good clump. What a striking crocus 'Spring Beauty' is - note made of name for next year and I loved your gran's saying 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old country folk had a language of their own, but I guess the young people now would say the same for me!

      Delete
  9. I love your blue crocus. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia, there are so many varieties around, and there is even a word to describe people who just love crocus it is a croconut! Not that I am one, the garden is too small!

      Delete