Monday 26 February 2024

Violets are not always blue for In a Vase on Monday

 It is a sad time for our WI group as a well loved member is very poorly.  Today one of the walking groups out on the levels were the first to have been filmed sending a message of love.  Later in the week almost all the other members will have been included in a number of clips, which will all be woven together in a group message of love and support.

A couple of years ago, on visiting our garden this member much admired a few of the violets, and understanding what they meant to her, it was within a matter of days, that I collected a few plants together for her to grow in her garden.

When we returned from our walk today, I was thinking of this, and took this picture of some violets currently open in the garden.


Although not the same as the ones admired this Viola odorata 'Kim' is the violet currently in flower, and surrounded with its own leaves, in a little crystal vase.  The Elephant is a vintage 1930's one which came down through my husband's family. I have sent this off to Our photographic group leader who may include this in the 'video' of all the clips.

The levels are still flooded, but our walk was along an elevated well drained path.  The views from the car were spectacular and we saw many different birds during the morning.

Flowers, plants and friends are woven together to form a lasting bond.  

I feel that after all the years of posting on In a Vase on Monday which was an inspired creation of Cathy, we too are forming each week memories shared through an arrangement of flowers from our garden. As usual I am linking in there. 

I have promised last week, a bit of a domino game of sorts with Cathy, but that game has been put in abeyance till another time.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear of your friend's situation, Noelle. I'm sure the messages of love and support from you and your friends will offer comfort. Best wishes to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely composition, Noelle. I love violets, you made me think of my mother, she had a violet lawn and a very similar elephant. I am now wondering what happened to it. I hope your friend gets better. Amelia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful sentiments, and a lovely message to send your friend. Those violets were very like the ones that grew in my front garden and were a stunning ground cover. I am sure their meaning will be a source of comfort and love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a special vase this week to honor a dear friend. Sending good wishes to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear your friend is so poorly Noelle. The idea of making a video full of messages of support is a lovely one. And your violets are so lovely too - such a pretty vase as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely gesture for your WI friend, Noelle - I hope the bosst it will surely give her will aid her recovery. Your simple vase of violets is so sweet and touching in itself, making me think of a time when violets were sold in the streets (not that I remember that of course!! 🤣) Geologically, what would you say 'the levels' were, Noelle?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's illness, Noelle. The violets are so pretty and I am sure she will love to see them. You say you remember she admired your violets, and I see you accompanied them with the elephant ornament. You didn't say it yourself, but I suspect it could represent your memories; they do say, "an elephant never forgets". <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. A simple but beautiful vase Noelle and I hope that your friend gets to see it in the final video compilation. I think that such a video from her friends will be more heartwarming than any card could be.

    ReplyDelete