Friday 24 April 2020

Six on Saturday

The Prop has an interesting assortment in his SOS.  Something for everyone, and my favourite the first rose!  Here are six things from my garden this week.

(1) Sometimes nasty things happen and one cannot decide what the best medicine would be, without incurring collateral damage to insects.  Plum leaf curling on Mirabelle de Nancy caused by Leaf Curl Plum Aphid?








(2|) Purple foliage is looking handsome in the garden and contrasts nicely with the fifty shades of Green in the garden.  Taking pictures has made me realise that a slightly different juxtaposition  would make a big difference.  I'm one of those gardeners who frequently repositions plants!



Euphorbia dulcis 'Chameleon' and Geranium maculatum Elizabeth Ann are not doing each other a favour.  One of them will have to be moved...or both, but not next to each other. I think the Euphorbia was self seeded.


( 3) Persicaria Red Dragon is standing out nicely and will soon highlight the wonderful apricot colours of Rose Grace.





(4) Loropetalum Fire Dance is flowering once more 






(5) Androsace sarmentosa Watkinsii starting to flower....



and within a few days



Getting down low to remove a few leaves meant I found out where the wonderful scent was coming from.   Androsace sarmentosa Watkinsii has a really wonderful smell and not one that caused any reaction....




 (6) Red Campion: a native plant, planted as a plug plant, looking lovely in the conservatory bed.




Again  growth spurt means that daily walks around the garden are a must...


18 comments:

  1. That aphid damage makes me cringe. Sorry to see that.


    I do love all your bronzy foliagd plants--that foliage color is a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm try to remember to add some of the others next time...colour, texture etc in foliage is as pleasing to me as flowers.

      Delete
  2. I do what I call "the shuffle" all the time, and I'm not talking about my dancing style! I'm always moving stuff about. Love that androsace (how do you say that) and fragrance as well, wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill...I think the shuffle makes sure the garden changes. The really hard thing is to decided when things ought to be removed completely from the garden.

      Delete
  3. The Androsace is such a pretty plant, as is the red Campion. It's lovely to see NH gardens coming so bountifully into flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ja wide range of contributors north and southern hemisphere, and from several growing zones.

      Delete
  4. Is that London Pride I see in bloom next to the periscaria? Mine's only beginning to wake up a bit. Can relate to the comment about daily rounds to see what's happened since yesterday in the garden. Things are burgeoning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on Lora...its the variegated type. Maybe you are a little further north, when mine is waning yours will be a picture.

      Delete
  5. Your Androsace is fabulous. It's such a great group of flowers isn't it. I also love the combination of your London Pride next to the persicaria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katharine, Anfrosace is small but a real little gem. I hadn't notice the juxtaposition until you and Lora had pointed it out. Sometimes it takes another to spot the obvious...that's the nice thing about visiting gardens with friends. I really miss going on garden visits, but the time will return, I am confident...

      Delete
  6. That Androsace is a beauty. I seem to think the various Primulaceae with scent are all very similar so I'm thinking scented Cyclamen smell? Is that about right. You've made me feel slightly guilty in that you are planting and growing two things there that I ruthlessly pull out as weeds, red campion and purple Euphorbia. They grow too well for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One man's weed is another woman's garden plant...in this instance. However should they start in an area I don't want, they will be despatched. The Androsace needs care so maybe I am pardoned. I must smell cyclamen next time, and try and remember the scent. It smells not dissimilar to my clematis montana. Will check on my next tour of the garden.

      Delete
  7. The Red Campion is a lovely plant. It pops up here and there in the garden, but never where its wanted. Perhaps I need to 'shuffle' them. Sorry to hear about your aphid problem. Are they big enough to squish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The aphids are tiny and there are hundreds of leaves..but washing up liquid and i hope a regular hose will bring back some semblance of reasonable growth.

      Delete
  8. I'm a plant repositioner too. Red Campion is a lovely plant and a self seeder. I hope you sort out your plum tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall spray with soap later today, and ease off on the fertilizer next year. I think the initial growth acted like a magnet.

      Delete
  9. I ordered some red dragon, got something completely different. hmmmph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Prop, true to style, I just happen to have a nicely rooted piece which I propagated last year. If you would like it, say so, and I shall dig it up, parcel it up and pop it in the post.

      Delete