Saturday 11 April 2020

Six on Saturday - 11 April 2020

Each day this week the garden has been my little centre away from the world and our troubles.  For a couple of days I was almost speechless....my voice is returning slowly as I reach a new equilibrium...

The Prop this week is showing some interesting tipbits, and I was amused by his use of the name 'Born Survivor'.  Do go and to his post and enjoy seasonal displays in home gardens.
In searching out more details on his Narcissus Pipit I happened to fall on Avon Bulbs which is not far from us, and due to cancellation of their shows have a large range of plants on special offer.  I realise only a few of us may be within the 15 miles radius, but maybe checking with your local growers may be a great help to them, if you are able to buy, and stop the waste that is predicted will happen as plants are destroyed.

Last week I was tickled by the name 'Wakaranai' for the small acer, suggested by Hortus Baileyana. Many thanks for advice, comments, and the wit of the Six on Saturday Community.


(1) Chaenomeles speciosa 'Geisha Girl' is flowering for the first time this year.  I bought it in January 2019  by mail order from Ballyrobert Gardens.  I was somewhat underwhelmed by the size of the plant when I unpacked it.  Hopefully it will start to put on growth this year.  In January I am apt to get garden blues and send off for plants.  I am going to write myself a list of does and don'ts... 





(2) In the conservatory border the Tiarella catch the early morning sunshine, and seem to glow.  Even the leaves on their own are pretty.  Further round the bed I have a named variety 'Mint Chocolate', which is continuing to progress after a rather poor year last year.  



(3) Narcissus Thalia emerging pure white is glowing also in the pure clear air.  In several weeks of dry weather, an overnight shower of rain was most welcome.  I had hoped to stage this one at the Wessex Daffodil Society's exhibition at Henton where our gardening club holds its meetings.  We usually help on the day with teas etc, and there is a separate section for us 'general local amateurs'.  The Society judges are always kind, and offer us some good tips and advice not only on growing but staging.  This one flowers late in the season in time for this particular show.  Last year I entered for the first time.







(4) Mahonia Aquifolium Apollo, or is it? One of the garden's original shrubs must be being visited by every bumblebee, honey bee and insect in the vicinity.   






(5) Geranium clarkei 'Kashmir Purple is providing a rich bluey mauve.  It lovely to have hardy geraniums in flower so early in the year.  The plant is Geranium malviflorum identified as a Summer dormant variety by members of the HPS Hardy Geranium group.


One of the three plants in flower 7 April 2020

This is the plant when it was flowering soon after I bought it last year from a grower at our HPS plant fair.  Not long after flowering it died down.  I was afraid it may have died.  Up it came for its 'autopsy'.  The roots were in a fine and plump state with good underground growth buds.  In accordance with my inner propagator, I divided it, and potted in three separate pots of good compost, it was in leaf all through the winter.  In early March I planted each one in separate parts of the back garden. 



In flower last year before it went into Summer dormancy

Was it summer dormancy?  I shall follow the growth pattern of the three plants this year.  Another question: Is this Geranium Clarkei 'Kashmir Purple or was it a wrongly labelled plant?  I would like to know, but would I swap it for some of the examples I have found on the internet?  No this is a keeper for sure.  It is not Clarkei 'Kashmire Purple'....


(5) Making do and using what you have is probably what we have all had to do over the last couple or more weeks.  Last year my neighbours cut down some bamboo, and  some of the canes crossed the road and had been languishing all winter down the side of the house.  As my Clematis ‘Scented Clem’ (syn. SUGAR SWEET Blue)  was fast outgrowing its little cane tripod, a larger structure was required.  I either like organic shaped supports 


Last year's photograph.

the alternative would be to buy some ones like this cream one holding up Clematis Olympia.



Unfortunately for me Tom Chambers have discontinued their cream range.  With long handled loppers, and lengths of copper wire, which were ready to go to the recycling centre but it is closed, lots of patience regarding disentangling the clematis, I give you.....Notice the pink Pelargonium capricorn in flower.  In the heat conservatory plants and succulents are cooling down in the garden.


Trial trellis for new Clematis Sugar Sweet
(6) It has turned hot the last few days...succulents have been let out.  Of course weather forecasts for night frosts will mean moving them back to the conservatory! Hence the succulents on the shelves and Pelargoniums perched on pots.  The hose has been taken out of the recently cleaned and tidied shed...even the floor has been washed!

16 comments:

  1. Lovely six! Tiarella always amaze me as to how wonderful they are. Such a great plant, great foliage and flowers and will grow whether others fear to tread. Hope all is well with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gill...when it comes time to divide it, I'll pop in some other places in the garden that require a little lift this time of the year.

      Delete
  2. Geranium Kashmir Blue looks good. I have Kashmir White and I love the new foliage when it emerges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is your Kashmir White flowering about now? Does it die down for the summer as this one does? I'll be interested to know.

      Delete
    2. My Kashmir White dies down in the Winter and flowers May onwards. I have taken a photo today of the juvenile leaves but cannot post on here.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for trying L, I'll look out for you posting on your blog sometime soon.

      Delete
  3. That's a fantastic climbing frame for the clematis. You should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind Chicu. After looking at it all season, I can always disassemble it and create a new one for next year. The copper wire is easy to unwind.

      Delete
  4. Geisha Girl is a pretty colour. Well they do say a small plant will overtake a larger plant as they establish more quickly, so hopefully that will happy to yours. Glad you liked the name for the acer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, I shall be patient, and I think a lovely slate label with due the little acer justice...just as soon as I can find a piece.

      Delete
  5. I think everyone's Thalias are in full bloom except mine - by the current appearance it might be another week...or two! It looks lovely, and your Tiarella is quite spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine, you be a little cooler there. Here the spring appears to be galloping away...I prefer a cooler spring with some gentle rain.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad your geranium made it! I really like that shelf under the shed window. Great idea. I wonder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the time, and the ingenuiety...and maybe make yourself an 'auricula' staging at the same time. I would have one if I had an appropriate wall..they are just the thing to display one's best pots on. Looking forward to seeing progress.

      Delete
  7. I love the colour of Geisha Girl. Hopefully she'll earn her place soon. Your tiarella are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lora many thanks for your encouragement regarding the Chaenomeles. I'll be sure to tend the Geisha...she is going to be the depository of all the tea leaves over the next few weeks which hopefully she will appreciate. You should see the tiarella just a couple of days later...

      Delete