Saturday 26 June 2021

Six on Saturday - 26 June 2021

 I was reading some of the posts linked in to Jon The Propagator this morning, and having had a talking to by Gill via her post, here I am with some bits and pieces. Nothing quite like a group of plant loving people to gee one up and get me past the 'miffed feeling one gets just as one passes mid-summer.' Jon is featuring amongst other Allium Summer Drummer which I have been admiring in a friend's garden. 

As soon as I had my telling off, I realised that what would help would be a little retail therapy.  Through our new local WI gardening club, and the visit here a couple of weeks ago, together with a friend saying she had had some good advice at a market stall last week in Wells,  I knew that Graham from Tadham Alpines was back.  I secreted the plants and had them waiting in the shade.  Mr S said he was surprised I had not had them on the table to enjoy, before planting them out.



They are out now ready to be planted in the grit garden, and also in my semperivium planters to replaced some I had lost a few months ago.

Sempervivums Sioux and Sprite, Sisyrinchium E K Balls, Jasaine laevis blaulicht and another blue one Campanula pusilla or cochlearifolia blue, and a pot of the pale pink Rhodyohypoxis baurii pintado.

2.  I very much enjoyed Paddy Tobin's post last week when he showed off some of his wonderful whites. That got me going around the garden where the whites were adding the same freshness to surrounding plants.

One of my favourite small plants both in the wild and now in the garden is the White Sea Campion. Silene Uniflora Alba. 


3. Another white which is giving off the most relaxing of perfumes is the tall flowered Valerian, which managed to survive the neighbour's cat rolling over it earlier in the year. 


4. The white flowered rose which every gardener recognises needs a little attention, with some sort of trellis.  Maybe I shall get round to ask Mr S to mount some wires, but at the moment there is hardly room to move, or at least for him to put his size 11s for fear of treading or squashing something.

Rose Iceberg


5.  Just as a counterpoint the dark leaved HardyGeranium pratense 'Midnight Reiter' again from Tadham Alpines is flowering having been first planted last year.  Further around Geranium sanguiem album with its dainty white flowers ought not to be forgotten.

Geranium pratense 'Midnight Reiter'

6.  I'm refreshing my chive border and dividing the large clumps into smaller ones.  Lots of spares are finding new homes. All these good pieces from one old clump!



4 comments:

  1. Oh some local new purchases Noelle - nothing like a bit of horticultural retail therapy to lift the spirits 😂 I go with the arrival of the summer solstice as marking the start of summer so by my reckoning there's a good way to go yet. We had an 'Iceberg' rose in our last garden. It's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you're enjoying the Silene too - it really is a lovely plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. White does add that freshness to the garden, and you have a lovely selection there. Chives are such obliging plants. I've lined the paths in the veg garden with them - all from one supermarket pot bought many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, new plants will always give a gardener a boost, especially if we can get them planted straight away so they they don't end up making us feel guilty for not planting them!!

    ReplyDelete