Saturday 5 June 2021

Six on Saturday - 5 June 2021

 The Prop this week is hunting for spaces for places, I 'commiserate', it is his own fault but with all those plug plants he will have the most amazingly colourful garden come the summer.  

Its too hot, the sun is too bright, the change too sudden, plants are running amok or else popping their clogs. I'll focus at the end on a few beauties just to calm me down.

1. Popping their clogs.

Under the shelter of a narrow overhang by the front door, I like to place plants in pots.  Sometimes it is to have some shelter from the rain and gain a little protection from the walls behind, but in the hotter weather only succulents or geraniums can put up with the temps.  Maybe a very large pot would heat up and cool down more slowly, but I am past the stage of heaving large pots around.



One of the 'collections' in the garden is of sedums: above is a picture of some of them before their demise.  Once I grew them in pans all separate and named, and then they got mixed up and were assembled when it was time to replant in a selection of little second hand bonsai trays which I picked up along the way from here and there in different second hand shops.

It may be that I tried to compensate for the high temps by overwatering, but long and the short of it is that I have lost about half of them.  They were probably 'boiled' then quickly given the coup de grace by a fungus in less than a few days.  It was the ones with 'hairy' leaves that succumbed. No dreaded grubs of the Vine Weevil to be found thankfully.

I shall be on the hunt for a few new sempervivums; it is time to get some new interesting varieties.  I have had most of these for nearly twenty years! Not the same ones or course, the trays are replanted around every two years with the offsets.  

The lesson to be is not to have anything there when it threatens to get that hot! Or at least find a piece of shading to cover them with. 

2. Plants running amok.  Something that most gardeners have to contend with at this time of the year!

View of the gravel area with dominant Echiums 

It could have been right plant right place, if there was room, or if the soil was so poor that they had not grown so large, much larger that where they were growing in a gravel drive at Mendip Hospital Cemetery, where my friend Jean is the Head Volunteer gardener. The rosettes last year gave an interesting architectural note, but oh dear it was taking over some choice miniature 'alpines', and was fast becoming out of scale.



 I gritted my teeth, and removed them this week.  I feared for the damage they may have done, but I think I cleared it just time.  I ought not to have sown them there or ought to have removed them far earlier.  The 'arrogant' me really felt they would have made quite a statement this summer.

3. Another plant running amok has been the chives.  I cannot believe there is now such a thick edging growing so tall, all from a couple of little tubs of chives from the supermarket.  When they have finished flowering and all the bees have had their fill, they will be removed!  Maybe a few small clumps will replace them, but I shall be sure to keep them on the small side in coming years.


4. Salvia Leucantha is putting down its roots nicely and the little flowers are starting to emerge.  On bigger stems I think the flowers will be larger.  From from Gill at Off the Edge Gardening, it arrived autumn last year as a very small rotted cutting in an envelope.  Now it is flourishing. If it turns out all purple it is probably 'Purple Velvet' and I am sure if Gill sees this she will know.


5. Mr S played the game of spot the violet, it kept him occupied as they are spread around the garden.  Thanks Jim for Viola Tricolor seed. It was a question of 'sow your own plug plants' rather than buy trays at a discount like Jon.


6. I added an extra bag of bulbs to my order of species tulips last year.  These are Scilla Litardierei and a nice effect at this time of the year when the main spring bulbs are over. At present they are in pots, but may well be released into the garden.



This morning I shall construct a diy trellis with a couple of bamboo sticks and lengths of twirling stems of my 'defunct' Solanum laxum 'Album'. The Solanum died  because I gave it too hard a prune at the wrong time.  Do I regret that?  The rose doesn't, and really neither do I, however, it was interesting to grow for two or three years. A choice small and dainty clematis may be much better.

I'm linking in with Jon now and going off to see what other fun other gardeners are up to.

17 comments:

  1. I can send my daughter to clear out the chives if you like! She has the peculiar habit of wandering round the garden munching on a bunch of chive leaves. There's almost nothing left of ours now. Also, she stinks of the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Miss Propagator would like to come and help, and she could also take some clumps back, but then you have no space left! I could point out all manner of other leaves too to munch on. I remember my friend bringing her little grandson and I taught him to find the tiny fraise des bois which he adored.

      Delete
  2. I'm so pleased the salvia is doing well, it is obviously in good hands. Whilst I remember, you liked the look of the double purple osteo in Devon and I took some cuttings but they didn't have time to strike. I gave the pot to Torrington Tina to look after and take her pick whilst saving one for us. I didn't forget! Happy gardening to you Sis, you are doing a fine job keeping them all in control x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall cherish that salvia and get my own cuttings going in a couple of months, and again like you share them. Hope you are settling down. x

      Delete
  3. I wish my chives would take off like that - mine are pathetic looking things. The Scilla Litardierei are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Divide, fork the soil just a little with a hand fork, add some compost, and water in...maybe I have just the right soil and aspect as all the alliums do very well here.

      Delete
  4. Your supermarket chives look as if they are on steroids Noelle and the bees must love them. I wish that mine from a herb nursery would perform as well 😂 Do you eat the flowers? I'm past the stage of lifting heavy pots round too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just divided and divided for a couple of years. Yes I break up and sprinkle the young tender flowers just as they are bursting over salads. I just love salads and such things, but Mr S said without me he would never eat lettuce!

      Delete
  5. It's never easy to chop something down when it's just about to flower, it's only when you look at the picture with the spade you see how big it was. None of my self sown viola tricolor are flowering yet, I should have started some under cover. They're very endearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started the seed you sent me almost straight away, I guessed the fresher the seed the better the outcome, and had little plug plants going as soon as the seedlings could be separated. Learnt all this from the SOS lot as I was more a cuttings sort of person before.

      Delete
  6. Very pretty Scilla. Mine (from Gill too) was sown this winter and grows quietly. Maybe flowers next year? Or rather in 2 years because the growth is very slow. Have you ever tried from seeds? Do you have any advice for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These came as small bulbs from Peter Nyssen and thus I have not got any personal tips on growing these from seed. From reading about how they grow in their native habitat, I would suggest a semi shaded place and no drying out. Keep them growing as long as possible as you know that foliage will build bigger and stronger bulbs. As the flower comes so late, perhaps starting them off a little early with some shelter will also help build up the bulbs. Bonne chance Fred.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. This is how they grow up for now. Fingers crossed they survive the hot summer

      Delete
  7. Lovely violas. I enjoyed my display this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chives - you've got to love a plant that is so willing to grow. Mine started from a small supermarket pot too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really interesting post, Noelle, with your highs and lows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose one has to learn to take the lows, time heals. In the meantime looking and finding a balance.

      Delete