Friday 8 November 2019

Suribachi and surikogi and Ella Risbridger's Midnight Chicken

Here in Somerset it has stopped raining, for a day.  Mr S was nearly on the point of cabin fever, and therefore we decided to take ourselves off to neighboring Shepton Mallett.  Fridays are market days there and worth a look around.  We bought some well veined blue sheep's cheese, which will probably close our supper this evening.

The One Craft Gallery is one of the places I like to pop into, if only for a card.  This time my eye was caught by some attractive studio ceramics.  I picked up this bowl and  put it down.  Mr S and I enjoyed looking around at the varied items on display...and my mind was made up.  As I approached the desk and started to speak to the person sorting out purchases, she introduced herself as the Potter Rowena Kinsman, who made this bowl, and also happened to be the beekeeper supplying the Mendip honey which I had also picked up. 

Rowena explained her techniques and about this grinding bowl.  I had thought it was the ideal bowl to prepare dressings and then serve topped with salad ingredients.  It is a Suribachi which is Japanese for grinding bowl.  In this one the ridges are well formed but glazed and therefore can be cleaned perfectly and remain odour free.  Surikogi is the name of the wooden pestle.  This was made by Rowena's partner and is made of fruit wood most probably apple.  



Here it is full of the lovely marinade/dressing ready to pour over our chicken supper.  As you add each of the ingredients and crush and mix, the smell of the ingredients is sufficient to wipe away any winter or rain blues!


After recommendations from Mandy and pictures both on her blog of pate and Charred Leek Lasagne and of the chicken in the pre baked stage on facebook, I have currently been leafing through Midnight Chicken by Ella Risbridger.  Isn't it just right that the first use of this large suribachi is to prepare this delicious topping?  Thanks Mandy for the tip off.  Later I shall serve up the salad we shall be having to go alongside the Midnight Chicken and jacket potatoes.

Just in case you need to go and make this dish NOW and you have yet to acquire or borrow the book, here is a link to Ella's blog and recipe.

Here is our Midnight Chicken



It's strange how memories just pop up.  Once Mandy and I were walking along Kenilworth High Street and I pointed out some lovely blue glazed studio pottery in a Charity Shop.  Mandy came out with a lovely purchase.  I wonder whether she still has them?


1 comment:

  1. Mmmm - that chicken looks delicious Noelle 😛 I have the 'Midnight Chicken' book on my Kindle. I think that it was once a Kindle daily deal. Your post is going to stir me into action very soon!

    ReplyDelete