Saturday 17 April 2021

Blood Orange and Pistachio Cake Revisited

 Whilst I still had some blood oranges left, I thought I would have a second try at the cake from The Honey & Co Baking Book.  I followed the recipe ratios exactly as well as the method except again I halved the quantities.  I also did not add the sugar and cornflour to the bottom of the tin, as last time getting the cake out intact was an impossibility.  Instead I made a sauce, which I poured on the cake when it came out of the oven. I still feel that the base, which of course becomes the top when you turn the cake out, is too wet.



Whether I had larger eggs this time, or whether beating the nuts into the creamed butter and sugar, before rather than after the eggs, as I did last time, I seem to have too much batter for the 7 inch tin.  I had my first stick of rhubarb and a few left over strawberries, so made three small cakes.  These were much more of a success. 


It might be that the oranges were just too juicy, and perhaps something like nectarines or peaches would suit the batter better.

2 comments:

  1. I’m wondering if the cornflour mix works better on individual cakes with the ratio of orange and that a large cake becomes unbalanced and therefore wet. Love the idea of rhubarb, rhubarb with orange zest and/or ginger could be really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've summed it up just right Mandy. I shall take the batter to make the individual cakes in my silicone moulds as I did for the rhubarb ones above, but also do the syrup afterwards. I just love pistachios....

    ReplyDelete