Monday 26 April 2021

In a Vase on Monday - Delicate Spring Blooms

 

 I've been watching the Sorbaria sorbifolia 'Sem', in last week's vase,  gradually unfurl and turn a pale green, the curving leaves adding a soft flowing movement.  They have been reused this week, with the addition of  a stem of Lamprocapnos spectabilis Alba, several blooms from Epimedium x versicolor 'Sulphureum', and a stem of blue forget me not looking flowers from the Siberian Bugloss: Brunnera macrophylla 'Jack Frost'


If you have ever felt the leaves of Brunnera the many hairs that cover the surface give a very rough texture.  When I found the common name Siberian Bugloss, that led me to wondering about the name Bugloss as we have a wild flower called Viper's Bugloss which is a type of Echium. Bugloss comes from the Greek for Ox-tongue .  Thankfully the Brunnera is well rooted and cannot come chasing me, as one is likely to be if you find yourself in a field with young cattle, and yes, I have felt the coarseness of a cow's lick!


On a recent walk across fields and styles, the little piece of litchen covered bark caught my attention and came home to sit on the mantlepiece.

Each Monday I join in with Cathy who rambles through her garden, and posts an anchoring vase often with stories and props.  Do go and have a peep at what other IAVOM posts there are linking into hers.

6 comments:

  1. Your lichen covered bark is a real find, Noelle - and you seem to have seamlessly placed your vase within it as I can't see where it begins or ends! Such a graceful result - and interesting info about ox's tongues!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty as your pastel arrangement is, Noelle, I love the lichen-covered bark. Although we get a little moss here during our all-too-brief cool season, lichen isn't something we ever find. Echiums are prickly. I grow the super-sized species and cutting them back requires a good pair of gloves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased that you remarked on the lichen covered bark. We have a large number that grow on all sorts of surfaces including stone, and in other nooks and crannies. They say it is the sign of good air.

      Delete
  3. I adore your Brunnera and friends, Noelle. My Brunnera 'Silver Heart' disappeared some years back and it's time to find it's replacement--maybe I can locate 'Jack Frost'. The lichen is rich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is all beautifully arranged Noelle, and I love that lichen covered piece of bark. The colours go well together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A most pretty and delicate arrangement Noelle. I like the foraged bark 😄

    ReplyDelete